ArtSpan is holding an open call for artwork submissions inspired by the streets of San Francisco. The way the light hits our buildings, bridges, and landmarks; the journeys we take, the paths we create, and people we meet on the streets of our beautiful city inspire us daily. The winning artwork will be used for the 2013 SF Open Studios Campaign, including cover artwork for the Guide (a full-color, 172-page catalog with 15,000 print run), as well as promotional advertising in various publications, outdoor advertising, print and online broadcasts, and other promotional vehicles.
ABOUT SF OPEN STUDIOS:
SF Open Studios is a salute to the artists that make up the cultural wealth of our city and give us credence as one of the most creative places in the world. The thirty-eight year old city-wide art celebration includes over 800 artists who open their studios each October. Each weekend, participating artists in their designated portion of San Francisco welcome the public into their homes and work spaces to share their artwork and engage in dialogue. The SF Open Studios Guide is the travel companion for each weekend of the event, featuring artwork examples from each artist, maps, and articles. This year, ArtSpan is introducing the new, slightly smaller "slim-Jim" version of the Guide, to easily fit into your purse or pocket on your studio tours throughout the city!
ArtSpan, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, builds community by connecting the public to visual arts in San Francisco. Through SF Open Studios, youth and adult education, and art-centric events, ArtSpan creates a platform for artists to thrive, fostering a Bay Area that values the arts.
• Open to artists residing in San Francisco or Bay Area. • All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years.
• Collaborations are accepted.
• Work must not have been used for print material purposes (other than to promote the work of artist).
• If selected, the artwork must be available for viewing during the SF Open Studios Exhibition in October-November 2013
at SOMArts Cultural Center.
• Entries are being accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and assemblage.
• One entry per artist.
• Artist statement of originality – 300 words or less describing what inspired the piece.
• Art must be submitted in portrait orientation (6.25" wide X 10.875" tall is the final size of Guide).
• Artwork that is wider than it is tall will not be eligible due to restrictions of artwork use.
• All image files for the initial entry should be submitted in JPEG format.
• All image files must be titled with artist’s last name, first initial, and the entry’s title.
This information must match the title and name on the entry form.
• If chosen, artist must provide a high resolution image appropriate for print: 300 dpi image atleast 8 inches wide in CMYK.
Additional photography may be ordered by ArtSpan to meet print quality standards.
AWARDS:• The winning submission for the Guide cover will be awarded $500 in cash and prizes!
• Finalists and winning submissions will be featured in the Guide and in our online promotional materials.
• Artwork of selected finalists may be used inside the Guide as weekend dividers with the discretion of the editorial team.
Entry Deadline: Sunday, April 7, 2013 at midnight
Finalist Notification: Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Cover Artist Notification: Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Guide Release: mid-September 2013
RELEASE OF ARTWORK
By submitting/signing this form, I, the artist whose name is listed above, hereby grant ArtSpan & SF Open Studios 2013 and the board, contractors and assigns, an unlimited, non-exclusive and irrevocable license the right to use and display my name, photograph(s) and corresponding caption(s) (“Artwork”) in all forms and media and in all manners and to make and distribute, and authorize the making, display and distribution of, reproductions for the ARTSPAN SF OPEN STUDIOS 2013 GUIDE and promotions as well as for any other ArtSpan purpose, including promotional materials. I acknowledge that a digital version of the Artwork will be used for said purpose.
I also acknowledge that if the ArtSpan and panel of jurors selects my Artwork for publication, ArtSpan may modify, crop or edit the Artwork, including any written material, in its sole discretion. Shall my Artwork be chosen for the cover competition, I will make Artwork available for additional digital photography for use in the organization’s promotional purpose for the 2013 Guide and all promotional materials.
I hereby warrant that I created the Artwork submitted and own all rights to the Artwork. I agree to indemnify and hold ARTSPAN harmless from any losses and liabilities (including attorney’s fees) for any copyright infringement or any other claims arising out ARTSPAN’s selection or use of my Artwork. I agree that I will not make any claims against the organization arising out of its use of my Artwork and that I am not entitled to any compensation for the use of my name or Artwork. I waive my right to inspect or approve ArtSpan publications or reproductions of my Artwork, including any written material that may be created in connection therewith.
I am at least 18 years old. I have read this release and am fully familiar with its contents.